Animal Care and Adoption Center Assistant Manager (Boston)
Responsible To: Animal Care and Adoption Center Manager (Boston)
Responsible, under the direction of the Boston Shelter Manager, for the general overall day to day supervision and operation of the ARL’s Boston animal shelter. Must be able and willing to perform, teach, and supervise all jobs, staff, and activities associated with accomplishing all aspects of the shelter’s operations, required daily in accordance with the standards and procedures established by the ARL and the Guidelines for Shelter Standards of Care. Must put a high priority on the welfare of all animals and high standards of sanitation in the building, including but not limited to the: cleaning, feeding, watering, and exercising of animals, expediting medical services for the sick and injured, expedite proper and humane euthanasia of animals when necessary and to supply the pet adoption center with as many qualified animals as possible.
This position will also be the primary coordinator for the shelter’s foster care program. A high level of professionalism, positivity, attention to detail and strong customer service skills are mandatory. Working in a small, busy environment, strong interpersonal skills and a willingness to be a team player are absolute requirements. This position has to be flexible in the duties and responsibilities as well as project a positive attitude and leadership style to best fit the changing needs of the shelter and the mission of the Animal Rescue League of Boston.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
1. Maintain awareness of exposure and cross contamination to animal related parasites and infectious diseases.
2. *Compile monthly operational, financial and other periodic reports. Understand all departments’ financial boundaries. Assist in ordering supplies and inventory. Process and secure daily revenue.
3. *Coordinate shelter staffing and scheduling for sick, vacation, lunch and break times taken. Approve staff punches and maintain attendance and payroll through payroll system.
4. Participate in interviews with prospective candidates, train, supervise and help assess performance on all employees reporting to the position.
5. Assist the Shelter Manager in coordinating all interior and exterior building maintenance.
6. *Assist with ordering and be responsible for all Boston shelter related equipment to be maintained in working order. Maintain safety standards of the shelter and investigate accidents as necessary.
7. *Since the shelter office area is either open to or visible by the public, a strong emphasis must be placed on appearance. Maintain all areas in a neat, clean and organized fashion. Follow the League dress code and wear the League uniform.
8. *As needed, must be willing and able to assume responsibility for shelteroperations as well as opening and securing the building, on weekdays, weekends and nights and holidays, and in the absence of the Shelter Manager.
9. *Handle a wide variety of animals effectively and in a humane manner. Must be able to respond to an emergency situation or rescue and to assess the need for back-up equipment or personnel.
10. *Must be able to competently perform behavior evaluations, lead playgroup, counsel special adoptions and work closely with the behavior team.
11. *Must know or be able to learn and perform the League approved techniques for the euthanasia of animals. Ensure strict guideline and security with the euthanasia solutions and euthanasia protocol. Assist in decision making discussions.
12. *Guide and counsel the staff. Must be able to identify performance and behavior issues, problems, and patterns in the workplace with Boston Shelter staff members. If necessary, must be capable of conducting disciplinary procedures.
13. *Must be capable of working independently and be able to support a team approach to operational decision making and problem solving. Must be able to learn, interpret, and exercise League policies accurately. Must be creative and cost effective in streamlining operations.
14. *In collaboration with the Shelter Manager, coordinate the foster care program. Coordinate rounds, attend volunteer/staff meetings (on cats and dogs), and maintain awareness of the population management in the shelter.
15. *Maintains positive community relations. Interfaces with the public via telephone or in person.
16. *Must complete a six-month orientation and training period.
17. *Must maintain a good attendance record and a good driving record.
18. *Serve on various committees and work on special projects as assigned. Perform other duties as assigned
1. Must be a High School graduate or equivalent. Animal Science degree is preferred. Minimum of 2 years of animal welfare and experience handling animals required. Minimum of 2 years of supervisory or management experience preferred.
2. Must have a current and valid Massachusetts Driver’s License and be insurable with the ARL Insurance policy for driving a League vehicle.
3. Must have and maintain a good driving record. Should be familiar with the local community streets and areas and ability to read street maps.
4. Must be of good moral character with an even disposition and the ability to deal effectively and politely with a diverse group of people. This person must have definite abilities to evaluate problems accurately and display good, sound judgment when working without supervision and under emotional stress. These are extremely important and critical qualifications.
5. A high level of professionalism and strong interpersonal skills is required.
6. Must have demonstrated capability as a motivated self-starter who embraces change with a positive and productive management style.
7. Must be physically capable of performing all the duties of Animal Care and Adoption Assistant Manager including moderately heavy work. Required to lift at least 50 pounds
8. Strong verbal and written communication skills and computer skills required.
Competitive wage and benefits package.
Come join our team!
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Human Resources Department
Animal Rescue League of Boston
10 Chandler Street
Boston, MA 02116
HR fax (617) 423-6201