Job Posting: Development Officer (Part-Time, Cape Cod)
RESPONSIBLE TO: Chief Development Officer
The Animal Rescue League of Boston (ARL) is an unwavering champion for animals in need, committed to keeping them safe and healthy in habitats and homes.
Founded in 1899, ARL provides high quality veterinary care, adoption, and rescue services; while also confronting the root causes of animal cruelty and neglect through innovative community programs, police investigations, and public advocacy. In 2016, ARL served more than 17,800 animals throughout Massachusetts.
The Development Officer plays a critical role in increasing individual and corporate support to advance the programs, mission and vision of the Animal Rescue League (ARL) of Boston. This position has a particular focus on Cape Cod and will work out of our ARL shelter in Brewster, MA. He/she is responsive for overseeing the cultivation of prospects, the stewardship of current and future leadership and major contributors, and the solicitation of donors to support annual operations or programs and future comprehensive or special campaigns. The Development Officer will also be responsible for identifying and leveraging planned and deferred gift opportunities.
The Development Officer will work closely with ARL’s President, Chief Development Officer, and program staff. The role presents a major opportunity for a motivated professional to help ARL build upon its long-time presence on the Cape (since 1921) and the exemplary service provided by the organization’s popular Brewster Shelter that has been operating out of the same location for over 50 years. The successful candidate will steward Cape donors who are members of ARL’s President’s Council (those contributing $1,000 or more annually), as well as cultivate those donors and prospects who have the capacity to consider similar gifts. The ultimate goal is to develop a community of individual and family investors who are committed to the well-being of animals on Cape Cod and inspired to support the efforts of ARL and its Brewster Shelter.
The Development Officer will:
- Manage a portfolio of President’s Council members and prospects, stewarding relationships that will lead to an outstanding donor philanthropic experience on the Cape and increased support for ARL’s programs and services;
- Identify leadership and major gift prospects, introduce them to ARL’s efforts – both on the Cape and in the wider animal-welfare community – and invite their participation to advance the organization’s goals;
- Identify and leverage planned and deferred gift opportunities. Steward donor relationships to introduce them to and solicit legacy gift commitments;
- Identify and solicit corporate and foundation support with particular interests in the Cape Cod community;
- Work collaboratively with the Chief Development Officer, ARL colleagues and volunteers, as well as the organization’s President and, as needed, the Board of Directors;
- Track and manage the demographic and contact data necessary to steward a lifelong relationship;
- Maintains accurate records in the database of prospect research, engagement and solicitation for each donor or prospect with whom they work;
- Serves as a representative and champion of ARL at community events and in other public settings.
- Bachelor’s degree required, with a minimum of 5 years of development experience, preferably with a proven track record in major gifts fundraising;
- Animal welfare experience, preferred;
- Strong mission-driven focus;
- Demonstrated commitment to Animal Rescue League of Boston’s mission, programs and core values;
- Excellent organization, relationship management and time management skills;
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills;
- Proven and consistent track record of increasing philanthropic revenues;
- Familiarity with leadership, major and planned gift fund raising;
- Proven ability to identify, cultivate, solicit and close five and six -figure gifts from individuals, families and family foundations;
- Experience working with board members and board committees;
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to maximize teamwork and camaraderie across the organization;
- Creative, resilient and strategic in approach;
- Outstanding customer service, detail-orientation and donor relations skills;
- Trusted partner to leadership and colleagues at past organizations;
- Possess a high level of integrity and handle confidential situations without compromise;
- Polished and authentic presence with excellent interpersonal skills;
- Experience working with diverse team in a variety of situations. Must be able to evaluate problems accurately and display good, sound judgment;
- Experience working in a data-driven and process-driven organization. Comfort and familiarity with computer information technology and working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge and Microsoft software;
- Must maintain a valid MA driver’s license, have reliable transportation, be willing to travel between locations, and work outside of normal hours on occasion.
- A sense of humor.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (please include the job title in your email subject line) or:
Human Resources Department
Animal Rescue League of Boston
10 Chandler Street
Boston, MA 02116
HR fax (617)-423-6201
The Animal Rescue League of Boston is an equal opportunity employer, and we make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other protected characteristic.