Job Posting: Facilities & Grounds Engineer (Boston Campus)
Reports to: Director of Facilities
This is a non-exempt, 40 hour per week position responsible for the maintenance duties and grounds upkeep at the Boston campus. The Facilities & Grounds Engineer (Engineer) is responsible for the daily monitoring of the entire ARL Boston campus for the purposes of maintaining a clean, appealing and safe environment. At times, this position may be physically demanding and considered heavy strenuous work.
The Engineer will ensure safe operation and upkeep of equipment associated with the campus. Oversee landscaping and other contractors that the ARL outsources to ensure scope fulfillment and the quality of work that meets or exceeds management’s expectations. Proactively identify potential maintenance issues, rectify such issues and or report them to the supervisor when necessary.
The Engineer must be able to:
- work with minimum supervision and high accountability;
- maintain a current driver’s license, be insurable through the ARL and maintain a good driving record;
- conduct him/herself with the highest of ethical standards and integrity, be of good moral character and maintain an even disposition;
- be flexible with regard to the duties and responsibilities that best fit the current and future needs of the ARL.
This position will require overtime availability including, but not limited to; on-call, nights, weekends and holidays. As needed, this position may also be required to provide maintenance services to other ARL locations such as Dedham and Brewster as requested. Scheduled shift hours will be Monday through Friday, 7:30-4:00, with a ½ hour lunch which may also be subject to change depending on department needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Minor plumbing
- Minor carpentry
- Common maintenance repairs
- HVAC filter changes
- Disposal of trash, cleaning, sweeping and raking
- Snow plowing, shoveling, snow blower operation and ice treatment applications
- Landscaping and grounds maintenance
- High School graduate, Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred.
- Five years’ experience in all noted responsibilities as noted above.
- At least two years’ experience in lawn care and landscaping experience.
- Snow plow experience preferred.
- Capable of lifting seventy (70) pounds.
- Meet the requirements of operating vehicles and being insurable by the ARL.
- Possess the ability to identify, evaluate and rectify problems using sound judgement.
- Professionalism and strong interpersonal skills along with the ability to multi-task.
- Provide quality customer service in a compassionate manner.
- Maintain a neat and professional appearance while wearing ARL issued attire.
- Complete a ninety (90) day orientation, trial and training period.
The Animal Rescue League of Boston is an equal opportunity employer, and we make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other protected characteristic.