Job Posting: Vice President, Finance and Administration
The Vice President of Finance and Administration (VP) is a key strategic leader responsible for advancing ARL’s growth, financial management and internal operational strategy. The VP should be a hardworking, self-starter with excellent managerial and project management skills along with, experience overseeing nonprofit operations including, finance, real estate, facilities, and information technology.
This is the lead position in evaluating, designing and directing the organization’s operational support systems. While leading operational strategy and innovation, the VP will be charged with developing and implementing increasingly efficient administrative policies and procedures in both the finance and general operational realms. The VP will directly supervise the Controller, Director of Information Technology and Director of Facilities. As a member of the senior leadership team, the VP will be involved in strategic planning and expansion initiatives.
The VP must work closely in collaboration with and support of the President and build positive relationships with the Board of Directors, the VP of Animal Welfare and Veterinary Services, the Director of Human Resources, and other managers across the organization. Working in a small busy environment, the VP must be flexible in the duties and responsibilities that best fit the changing needs of ARL.
The ideal candidate will have high level administrative leadership capacity, excellent communication and interpersonal skills, a creative and flexible approach to problem solving, a strong business mind, unquestionable professional integrity, and a passion for ARL’s mission.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Oversee and direct the Finance, Administration, Facilities and Information Technology Departments;
- Ensure all financial activities are conducted within generally accepted nonprofit accounting principles and IRS regulations;
- Track and ensure all required regulatory reporting and filings are completed;
- Oversee all ARL building maintenance, building renovation and new building projects;
- Oversee the information technology function, ensuring that the IT function effectively serves operational needs and aligns with the ARL’s strategic direction;
- Review and provide input on all contracts and legal issues with the exception of employment matters;
- Responsible for risk management, including all business insurance policies;
- Develop and maintain relationships with external auditors, bankers, and insurance, pension and other advisors;
- Develop and recommend plans, policies, best practices and procedures in specific areas of responsibility;
- Manage cross-departmental integration and system improvement;
- Be a resource to leadership team and staff to expand their business operating and financial knowledge and capability;
- Serve as staff liaison to Finance and Audit, Investment, Retirement and Real Estate Committees of the Board of Directors by coordinating these committees’ activities;
- Carry out responsibilities as assigned by the President and Board of Directors;
- Complete a six-month orientation and training period, while maintaining a good attendance record;
- Must present a professional appearance and possess a high level of integrity and adhere to absolute confidentiality;
- The above covers the most significant responsibilities of the position. It does not, however, exclude other occasional duties, the inclusion of which would be in conformity with the level of the position.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPECTATIONS:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration and ten to fifteen or more years of related experience with a demonstrated achievement in implementing change, required. Master’s degree, preferred. Previous experience as a VP Finance and Administration, CFO or COO, preferred.;
- Strong analytical, evaluation, project management and communication skills are necessary, as well as collaborative interpersonal relations;
- Must possess demonstrated ability to be resolute while ensuring adherence to policies, practices, or procedures when appropriate;
- Must be able to function in a “hands on” environment and have a strong work ethic;
- Must be highly organized and detailed oriented;
- Must be an honest and trustworthy person with an even disposition and the ability to deal effectively with a variety of people in all types of situations;
- Must have definite abilities to evaluate problems accurately and display sound judgment. These are extremely important and critical qualifications.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (please include the job title in your email subject line) or:
Human Resources Department
Animal Rescue League of Boston
10 Chandler Street
Boston, MA 02116
HR fax (617)-423-6201
The Animal Rescue League of Boston is an equal opportunity employer, and we make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other protected characteristic.