Job Posting: Boston Veterinary Care Veterinary Technician
POSITION: Boston Veterinary Care Veterinary Technician
RESPONSIBLE TO: Boston Veterinary Care Practice Administrator
This position is key to Boston Veterinary Care’s operations because it involves every aspect of the Clinic. A high level of professionalism and strong customer service skills are mandatory. Working in a small, busy environment make strong interpersonal skills and a willingness to be a team player absolute requirements for this position. This position has to be flexible in the duties and responsibilities to best fit the changing needs of the Boston Veterinary Care and the mission of the Animal Rescue League of Boston. The duties of the position cover any part of the veterinary practice and does not include diagnosis, prescription or surgery. The duties do not entail any activities prohibited by the veterinary practice act of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The Technician performs all functions under the supervision of a licensed Veterinarian.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. *Must be able to handle a wide variety of animals effectively and in a humane manner.
2. * Must complete a ninety (90) day orientation and training period.
3. *Must maintain a good attendance record.
4. *Must present a neat, clean and professional appearance and must wear a uniform while on duty.
5. *The regular work week is 40 hours per week. Must be willing and able to work a weekend or a rotating schedule.
6. Accurately collect specimens and perform laboratory procedures. Skillfully clean and polish animal teeth.
7. *Skillfully place catheters, intubate patients and properly administer injectable, oral and topical medications.
8. *Prepare patients, instruments, and equipment for surgery. Assist in surgical procedures.
9. Evaluate and monitor on an ongoing basis, the health and behavior of all animals in the Clinic. Assist in diagnostic, medical and surgical procedures. Dress animal wounds.
10. *Must know or be able to learn and perform the League approved techniques for the euthanasia of animals.
11. Prepare, expose and develop diagnostic radiographs.
12. Must be able to work efficiently in a busy office performing multiple tasks including answering telephones, completing all Clinic paper work, receptionist duties, kennel duties, assisting the public, and other tasks as assigned.
13. *Since most of the Boston Veterinary Care areas are either open to or visible by the public, a strong emphasis must be placed on site appearance. Maintain all areas in a neat, clean and organized fashion.
14. When working alone, must assume responsibility for opening and closing the Boston Veterinary Care. This includes making sure the animals have been given proper care and securing the premises.
15. May be assigned duties at the Headquarters office or to another branch shelter’s operations if personnel requirements dictate this need.
1. Minimum educational requirement is a high school diploma. A graduate from an A.V.M.A. accredited college level program in veterinary technology preferred.
2. If a graduate from an A.V.M.A. accredited college level program in veterinary technology: must be familiar and have experience with laboratory and clinical techniques, uses of veterinary drugs, instruments and equipment, anesthetic and surgical nursing and monitoring including instrumentation.
3. Must be of good moral character with an even disposition and the ability to deal effectively and politely with a variety of people and circumstances. This person must have definite abilities to evaluate problems accurately and display good, sound judgment when working without supervision and under emotional stress. These are extremely important and critical qualifications
4. Must be physically capable of performing all the duties associated with Boston Veterinary Care including moderately heavy work. Required to lift at least 50 pounds
5. Prior experience with domestic animals, preferably working in a Humane Organization or Veterinary Clinic.
6. A high level of professionalism, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to be a team player are required.
How to apply
To apply for a position at the Animal Rescue League of Boston, please send resume, cover letter and application for employment to:
Animal Rescue League of Boston
10 Chandler Street, Boston MA 02116
Fax: (617) 423-6201