- Employees/Volunteers are allowed to adopt any animal who is available for adoption at a 20% discounted rate of the total fee (transport fees not included, if applicable).
- Animals can be placed on hold for only the employee/volunteer (not friend/family)
- Holds are for only 24 hours (same as general public)
- If the adoption is not completed within the 24 hour hold period and the employee/volunteer is still interested in adoption, kennel fees will be charged on a daily basis (varies by species, not discounted)
- If the employee/volunteer decides not to complete the adoption the animal is returned into the “available to adopt” category
- All adoption holds first must be approved by the Director of Shelter Operations
- When interested in placing an animal on hold, contact the Assistant Director of Shelter Operations immediately.
- The Assistant Director of Shelter Operations will put a memo in Chameleon to confirm the approval of the hold including dates.
- The Assistant Director of Shelter Operations may or may not approve the hold based on the number of holds in the past, or if anything interferes with the animal’s well-being in any way and it is not appropriate to hold a particular animal
- Employees/Volunteers can place holds on animals who are not yet available for adoption (the animal is still pending appropriate behavioral and medical evaluations/treatments)
- Once the animal is up for adoption, the hold is only in effect for 24 hours
- Same approval process as listed above
- Pending the medical/behavioral evaluations some animals may not be available for a “hold”
- Pending the medical/behavioral evaluations some animals may move forward with the adoption process “as-is” and any medical or behavioral expenses associated with the animal will be at the adopter’s expense.
- When an adoption client is interested in adopting an animal but for reasons of their own, cannot take the animal home (do the adoption) the same day, they may place a 24 hour hold on the animal.
- In order to place a 24 hour hold on the animal, a $25 hold fee will be charged and collected by adoption staff (non-refundable, but is deducted from final adoption fee).
- If the client for reasons of their own, cannot take the animal home within the first 24 hours kennel fees will be charged on a daily basis (varies by species).
- The Assistant Director of Shelter Operations may decide to put a limit on the amount of time an animal can be held for and will be decided on a case by case basis.
- Employees and volunteers cannot place holds on animals for friends and family.
- Friends/Family pay full price for adoption (same as general public)
- Same rules as the general public
Exceptions and deviations from the policy will be considered on a case by case basis by the President of the Animal Rescue League of Boston.
Click here to read more ARL Policy and Position Statements.