Job Posting: Animal Care and Adoption Center Agent (Dedham)
RESPONSIBLE TO: Animal Care & Adoption Center Manager, Assistant Manager, Supervisor (Dedham)
This position is key to the branch Animal Care and Adoption Center operations because it involves every aspect of the site and is considered an essential position. A high level of professionalism and strong customer service skills are mandatory. High priority is placed on animal care and well-being. Working in a small, busy environment makes strong interpersonal skills and a willingness to be a team player absolute requirements. This position has to be flexible in the duties and responsibilities to best fit the changing needs of the branch and the mission of the Animal Rescue League of Boston.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- *Must be able to handle a wide variety of animals effectively and in a humane manner;
- *Must complete a ninety (90) day orientation and training period;
- *Must maintain a good attendance record;
- *The regular work week is forty (40) hours per week. Must be willing to work overtime when needed, and work weekends, holidays on a rotating schedule;
- Since the Shelter, barn, and paddock areas are open and visible by the public, a strong emphasis must be placed on appearance. Maintain all areas in a neat, clean and organized fashion. Follow the ARL dress code and wear the ARL uniform and nametag;
- *Clean and wash cages, kennel areas, exercise runs, barn stalls, paddocks and horse trailers, and other Animal Care and Adoption Center related areas where applicable;
- *Provide food and water for all animals in the Animal Care and Adoption Center and barn;
- *Inoculate, medicate, bathe, groom, and exercise animals as needed or as directed by the Animal Care and Adoption Center Management team or Shelter veterinarian;
- *Evaluate and monitor on an ongoing basis, the health and behavior of all animals in the Animal Care and Adoption Center and/or barn;
- *Must know or be able to learn and perform the ARL approved techniques for the euthanasia of animals, as necessary;
- *Drive an ambulance and do emergency calls whenever needed. Keep the vehicle clean; well-stocked and ready for use at all times. Report any accidents, vehicle damage or need for repairs to the Animal Care and Adoption Center management team immediately;
- *Pick up supplies and deliver mail and other items to the Boston headquarters and other Animal Care and Adoption Centers;
- *Must be able to complete all Animal Care and Adoption Center paperwork in a neat and accurate manner. This includes, but is not limited to, log book entries, agent orders, trip sheets, cage cards, controlled substance log sheets, adoption agreements and periodic reports;
- *Must be able to work efficiently in a busy office performing multiple tasks, including answering telephones, completing paperwork and assisting the public. Interview and counsel clients surrendering and adopting pets. Provide training tips and pet care information;
- *Perform general grounds keeping work, such as minor landscaping, snow and ice removal, evaluation and maintenance of environment for safety in all animal and human areas, as well as trash pickup;
- *Must assume responsibility for opening and closing the Animal Care and Adoption Center and/or barn as needed. This includes making sure the animals have been properly taken care of and securing the premises;
- May be assigned duties at the Headquarters office or to another branch Animal Care and Adoption Center operations if personnel requirements dictate this need.
- Must be a High School graduate or equivalent;
- Prior experience with domestic and livestock animals, preferably working in a Humane Organization or Veterinary Clinic;
- Must have a current and valid Massachusetts Driver’s License and be insurable with the ARL Insurance policy for driving a League vehicle;
- Must have and maintain a good driving record. Should be familiar with the local community streets and areas and must be capable of reading a map;
- Must be of good moral character and must have an even disposition and be able to deal effectively and politely with people from all types of backgrounds and experience and in all types of difficult situations. This person must have definite abilities to evaluate problems accurately and display good, sound judgment when working without supervision and under emotional stress. These are extremely important and critical qualifications;
- Must be physically capable of performing all the duties of Animal Care and Adoption Center agent including moderately heavy work. Required to lift at least 50 pounds;
- A high level of professionalism and strong interpersonal skills are required.
*Essential functions of the job in compliance with the ADA.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org (please include the job title in your email subject line) or:
Human Resources Department
Animal Rescue League of Boston
10 Chandler Street
Boston, MA 02116
HR fax (617)-423-6201
The Animal Rescue League of Boston is an equal opportunity employer, and we make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other protected characteristic.