Job Posting: Creative Services and Communications Specialist
RESPONSIBLE TO: Associate Director of Marketing & Communications
The Animal Rescue League of Boston (ARL) is searching for a candidate to fit the role of Creative Services and Communications Specialist in their small and bustling Marketing and Communications Office.
This is a full time, exempt position (40 hours/week) that will require working some nights and weekends during peak periods, which requires a high level of creativity, attention to detail, organization, and adaptability to changing priorities daily. Must have great interpersonal skills, enjoy working in a team setting, and be comfortable working with various levels of management throughout the organization.
This position will support the Associate Director of Marketing & Communications in the development and implementation of multi-channel marketing communications strategies to both further brand awareness of the ARL and also to promote each of ARL’s programs and services. The Creative Services and Communications Specialist will also assist in the monitoring of ARL’s mission, vision, values, and brand identity, and reputation in all consumer-facing media channels, collateral, and content.
The ideal candidate can show demonstrated success in designing multiple digital and print projects simultaneously from start to completion with limited supervision; is well-rounded in social media and website content management; is honest, trustworthy, and displays sound judgement as it relates to areas of sensitivity and confidentiality; has an affinity for animals and is comfortable working with various breeds of companion animals and livestock in a shelter environment; is eager to grow in the Marketing and Communications space and has an interest to learn more about fundraising and events.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. *Provide creative services for every department within the organization.
a) Must be able to design various types of digital (email, web) and print (flyers, event collateral, publications) assets and layouts from start to completion with limited supervision.
b) Collaborate directly with the project supervisor on project guidelines, deadlines, feedback, and implementation. Provide Associate Director of Marketing & Communications with project updates, as necessary. One of the largest areas for support is the Development Department (fundraising).
c) Must be comfortable working within ARL’s set brand guidelines.
d) Source and coordinate production projects with print and production vendors.
e) Support Associate Director of Marketing & Communications with interviewing, hiring, and managing external freelance designers for special projects, as needed.
2. *Manage social media content for ARL’s Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Instagram accounts, with guidance from Associate Director of Marketing & Communications.
a) Monitor accounts and direct concerns to appropriate staff members.
b) Provide guidance to front desk staff on how to answer inquiries, especially as it relates to the sensitivity of law enforcement cases.
c) Pull performance reports, as needed.
d) Experience with social media scheduling software (i.e., Hootsuite) a plus.
3. *Capture ARL’s important work through in-house and off-site photography and videography of shelter animals; ARL events; programs and services in action; and law enforcement cases, as needed.
a) Maintain organized library of all assets to pull from for digital and print projects; or when compiling presentations for Marketing Communications Department, President, or special events.
b) Provide guidance to volunteers in terms of photography specs and brand guidelines.
c) Support Associate Director of Marketing & Communications with interviewing, hiring, and managing external freelance photographers and videographers for special projects, as needed.
4. *Manage website and blog content (imagery and copy) for ARLBoston.org, with guidance from Associate Director of Marketing & Communications.
The above covers the most significant responsibilities of the Creative Services and Communications Specialist position. It does not, however, exclude other occasional duties.
*Essential functions of the job in compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA).
1. Associates or Bachelor degree in Marketing, Communications, Graphic Design, or similar preferred;
2. 2-5 years of professional experience in graphic design. Samples of both digital and print projects are required;
3. 2-5 years of professional experience in social media. Examples of professional accounts that you have managed are required;
4. Proficiency in photography and videography a plus;
5. Experience in studio setting and natural lighting is highly preferred. Must be comfortable with DSLR cameras, external lighting (flash and off-camera strobes) set-up, and take down with no supervision;
6. Comfort handling animals in a shelter setting, with supervision from shelter staff;
7. Proficiency in the following programs:
a. Adobe Creative Suite
b. Microsoft Office Suite
d. Adobe Premiere, or other video editing software
e. Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram; other social media sites a plus
f. Hootsuite, or other social media scheduling software.
8. Basic knowledge of HTML
9. Must be proficient in post-production using a professional photo and video editing software;
10. Excellent creative writing skills;
11. A valid Massachusetts driver’s license for occasional travel in Massachusetts between ARL’s facilities in Boston, Dedham, and Brewster; community programs; and off-site special events;
12. The ability to work occasional evening and weekend hours, as needed;
13. Because you will be in direct contact with animals, a three series rabies vaccination will be required;
14. A commitment to the mission and programs of the Animal Rescue League of Boston is essential.
How to Apply
Please submit a) cover letter, b) resume, and c) samples of your graphic design work, photography portfolio, and social media experience to either:
firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Creative Services and Communications Specialist” in the subject line; or
Human Resources Department
Animal Rescue League of Boston
10 Chandler Street
Boston, MA 02116
HR Fax: (617) 423-6201
The Animal Rescue League of Boston is an equal opportunity employer, and we make all employment-related decisions without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, veteran’s status or any other protected characteristic.