Volunteer at the
Animal Rescue League of Boston
The Animal Rescue League of Boston (ARL) is always seeking dedicated and compassionate individuals who are looking to match their skills and interests with their love of animals.
Our Animal Care & Adoption Centers, Spay Waggin’, and administrative offices often need volunteers to help with everything from feeding and training shelter animals, to providing care to community cats, to staffing special events, to general office support, and much more!
Current Volunteer Opportunities
ARL’s volunteer opportunities vary depending on the current need. Please select the location below where you would like to volunteer to see available opportunities and to submit an application.
- Boston Animal Care & Adoption Center – 10 Chandler Street, Boston, MA 02116
- Dedham Animal Care & Adoption Center – 55 Anna’s Place, Dedham, MA 02026
- Dedham Animal Care and Adoption Center – students only (16 years old and up). This form should only be filled out by students from a school with an established program with our Dedham Animal Care & Adoption Center.
- (Cape Cod) Brewster Animal Care & Adoption Center – 3981 Main Street (Rte 6A), East Brewster, MA 02631
Please note, at this time, we are unable to accommodate tour requests of ARL’s Animal Care & Adoption Centers in Boston, Brewster, and Dedham. If you would like to be notified when we are able to resume hosting tours, please email your name and best email to reach you at to Debby at email@example.com
Steps to Becoming a Volunteer
1. Fill out an application for the ARL location where you would like to volunteer. You must be at least 16 years of age to apply and have at least 6 months of volunteer service to give.
To help defray the costs associated with on-boarding volunteers and foster parents, there is a suggested application donation. If you are experiencing a financial hardship at this time and are unable to pay this fee, email Jack Cahill, Director of Volunteer Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. See if you’re a match. If your volunteer application is matched to a position, you will be contacted by an ARL staff member within 10 business days. All other applications will be kept on file for one year. *Please note: ARL’s volunteer program is highly competitive and the submission of an application does not guarantee placement.
3. Get on-boarded. Once you’ve been matched to a position confirmed by an ARL staff member, you will be notified about volunteer orientations and training that you will be required to attend.
Group Volunteer Opportunities
Are you a business, school, or organization looking to volunteer your time as a group? Learn more and submit an application.
Foster a Shelter Pet
There’s more than one way to volunteer! Interested in joining ARL’s foster care network? Learn more.
For questions or for additional information regarding ARL’s volunteer programs, please contact us at: