As we celebrate spring, a number of activities usually define this time of year – cleaning, gardening, and social events that involve friends, family and food.

It is also National Animal Poison Prevention Week, a perfect time to inform pet owners and raise awareness to common household items that can be toxic or even fatal for our furry friends.

Cleaning

The ingredients to avoid in household cleaners are phenols – a parent compound used as a disinfectant. If the label says “disinfectant”, “antibacterial”, or “sanitizer”, chances are it contains phenolic compounds, which can be toxic to dogs and cats.

Keeping our pets safe means, reading labels to find pet-friendly products, diluting solutions, keeping pets out of rooms until surfaces are dry to the touch, and cleaning with care!

Gardening

Spring means flowers, and lilies are a spring staple for many households. However, lilies of any variety can be extremely toxic for our pets, especially for cats. Daffodils, tulips, chrysanthemums, and hyacinths are also dangerous flowers for pets and should be avoided.

If you’re looking to jump start your outdoor garden or yard for the coming season, keep in mind that there are a number of pesticides, fertilizers and chemicals that are pet-friendly and should be utilized if your pets will be using the yard to frolic when the weather turns warmer.

Food

Not feeding our pets from the table promotes good manners, but also promotes good health, as many of the foods we eat are toxic to our pets.

When it comes to food, it’s important to keep the following foods away from our pets:

    • If ingested in significant amounts it can cause stomach upset or even nervous system depression
    • Grapes and Raisins. Although it’s unknown what the toxic substance is, the fruit can cause kidney failure
    • Almonds, pecans, and walnuts contain high amounts of fat and can cause pancreatitis in pets
    • Onions and Garlic. These can cause gastrointestinal issues or even red blood cell damage
    • Salt and Salty Snacks. These foods produce excessive thirst and can lead to tremors, elevated body temperature, and seizures or even death

Additionally, we all know that chocolate is a no-no, but there are plenty of other foods that are off the menu for pets. Along with chocolate, many foods contain the sweetener xylitol and if ingested, could lead to liver failure.

Remember, more often than not, if it’s on our menu, it shouldn’t be on theirs.

Poison Control

Fortunately, pet poison control hotlines are available and are ready to help.

This is a service that is offered by a number of microchip companies, and the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) also has a poison control hotline, which can be reached at (888) 426-4435.

When you call a pet poison control hotline, the operator will gather information from you and depending on what they’ve ingested and symptoms they’re displaying, you will either treat at home, or bring your animal to a veterinarian for emergency treatment.

If it’s the latter, poison control will contact your veterinary office, relay the information, and a plan of treatment is in place and ready to go once you arrive.

Despite the safeguards we take, our pets are curious and sadly, thousands of pets are impacted by ingesting something poisonous every year. Remember, should you suspect your pet has gotten into something they shouldn’t have, take immediate action as every second counts!